In Coalesce, a Read-Only User can be created to provision access to a user within your team who should be able to view the Project Documentation need to be able to view the project documentation auto-generated by Coalesce for your data pipelines, but who does not need to develop in or administer the Coalesce platform.
You are able to create an unlimited number of Read-Only Users for this purpose. Read-Only Users do not count against your contractual license count.
Steps to Create a Read-Only User in Coalesce
Note: The steps below detail the current approach to create a Read-Only User in Coalesce. Coalesce has soon to be released enhanced features and functionality around role-based access control (RBAC) within the platform, including direct provisioning of a "Read-Only" which will allow locking down all development features in the platform at a granular level. Upon that release, the Product Documentation and this article will be updated to reflect the new approach. If you are interested in receiving more information on this upcoming functionality in the interim, please Contact Us.
To create a new Read-Only User in Coalesce, login to Coalesce with a user account that has the Admin role and:
- Complete the same steps you take to create a regular User in Coalesce; some customers like to suffix the User's last name with a qualifier like "(Read Only)" to explicitly qualify their Read-Only users, but this is not required.
- Confirm that the individual associated with the Read-Only User in Coalesce does not have either of the following. These protections ensure that a Read-Only User cannot inadvertently inflict permanent change, intentional or non-intentional, to your projects.
- Write access to the Git Repositories being used for Coalesce
- Write access to the target locations in Snowflake that are being managed by Coalesce
With the above approach, you are able to provision access to non-developer users within your organization to view the auto-generated project documentation about your data pipelines that you create and manage in Coalesce.
- Users section of the Product Documentation
- User Management article in the Help Center
- FAQ: Can you create new users in my account for me?